Coast 4 – Brenda Malley
July 22 - July 23| €250
Artist: Brenda Malley
Course Date: 22nd June – 23rd July
Medium: Oils & palette knife
Participants: Maximum 8
Course level: Beginners to Advanced
Course Cost: €250
Brenda Malley’s career as a professional artist and art tutor spans over 25 years while living in the USA, France, and now at home in Greystones, County Wicklow. Following her first solo exhibition in the Leinster Gallery Dublin in 2008, Brenda received a Culture Ireland award to present a solo exhibition in Boston. Her work is represented by the Trinity Gallery, Dublin and the Whitethorn Gallery in Clifden.
This course will introduce you to seascape and coastal painting in oils, combining brushwork and palette knife techniques to fully express the vitality and energy of the subject.
Through a series of demonstrations Brenda will share her painting process from start to finish. You will learn to:
- study your subject through initial sketches (if attending also Brenda’s sketching course, your sketches will serve as preparatory material)
- compose your picture
- choose a focal point and identify directional flow
- block in your shapes quickly with a brush
- then add life, movement and texture with the palette knife.
We will paint outdoors, weather permitting, with a wonderful choice of coastal scenery at our doorstep – rocky shoreline, beaches and hidden coves, tidal pools, harbour, sea and sky.
Plein air sessions will be combined with time in the Artform studio to develop your paintings with personal guidance and instruction. Most of all, this course is about building your confidence to paint with fluidity, ease and enjoyment.
* Art materials list required to participate in the course will be provided after signing up to the course. 24hr access to the studio is offered to each visiting artist. Accommodation is not included in the course price, on request Artform provides an artist accommodation package.